- PhD Medical Sciences (Cell Biology and Metabolism)
McMaster University, 1997
- BASc Applied Human Nutrition
University of Guelph, 1983
- Associate Professor, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- Dinesh OC, Dodge ME, Baldwin MP, Bertolo RF, Brunton JA. (2013) Enteral Arginine Partially Ameliorates PN-Induced Small Intestinal Atrophy and Stimulates Hepatic Protein Synthesis in Neonatal Piglets. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2013 Aug 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- McBreairty LE, McGowan RA, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. (2013) Partitioning of [methyl-3H]methionine to methylated products and protein is altered during high methyl demand conditions in young Yucatan miniature pigs. J Nutr. 143(6):804-9.
- Nosworthy MG, Bertolo RF, Brunton JA. (2013) Ontogeny of dipeptide uptake and peptide transporter 1 (PepT1) expression along the gastrointestinal tract in the neonatal Yucatan miniature pig. Br J Nutr. 28;110(2):275-81.
- Brunton JA, Baldwin MP, Hanna RA, Bertolo RF. (2012) Proline supplementation to parenteral nutrition results in greater rates of protein synthesis in the muscle, skin, and small intestine in neonatal yucatan miniature piglets. J Nutr; 142:1004-8. Epub 2012 Apr 25.
- McKnight LL, Myrie SB, MacKay DS, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. (2012) Glucose tolerance is affected by visceral adiposity and gender, but not birth weight or early nutrition, in Yucatan miniature pigs. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012 Feb;37(1):106-14. Epub 2012 Jan 11.
- Alemmari A, Miller GG, Bertolo RF, Dinesh C, Brunton JA, Arnold CJ, Zello GA. Reduced aluminum contamination decreases parenteral nutrition associated liver injury. 2011. J Pediatr Surg. (In press).
- Dodge ME, Bertolo RF, Brunton JA. Enteral feeding induces profound early intestinal adaptation in a neonatal piglet model of short bowel syndrome. J Parent Ent Nutr. PEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2012 Mar;36(2):205-12. Epub 2011 Dec 21.
- Brosnan JT, Wijekoon EP, Warford-Woolgar L, Trottier NL, Brosnan ME, Brunton JA, Bertolo RF. Creatine synthesis is a major metabolic process in neonatal piglets and has important implications for amino acid metabolism and methyl balance. 2009. J Nutr. 139:1292-7.
- JA Brunton, AK Shoveller, PB Pencharz and RO Ball . The indicator amino acid oxidation method identified limiting amino acids in two parenteral nutrition solutions in neonatal piglets. 2007. J Nutr. 137:1253-1259.
- Shoveller AK, Brunton JA, Brand O, Pencharz PB and Ball RO. N-acetylcysteine is a highly available precursor for cysteine in the neonatal piglet receiving total parenteral nutrition. 2006. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 30:133-42.