- Arts and Administration 3036
- Telephone: (709) 864-8293
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD, Queen's University (2003)
- MA, Queen's University (1994)
- BA (with distinction), University of Victoria (1993)
- 19th-Century American Literature and Culture
- Graphic Narrative (Comics Studies)
- Children's Literature
- 'Somewhat on the Community-System': Fourierism in the Works of Nathaniel Hawthorne. Routledge, 2005.
- "'More than a Parchment Three-Pence': Crises of Value in Hawthorne's 'My Kinsman, Major Molineux." PMLA 126.2 (2011).
- “The Sea Cook’s Wife: Evocations of Slavery in Treasure Island.” Children’s Literature 38 (2010).
- "Cosmopolitan Detachment in Nathaniel Hawthorne’s ‘Prophetic Pictures.’” ESQ 53:1 (2007).
- “‘Well Intended Liberal Slop’: Allegories of Race in Art Spiegelman’s Maus.” Journal of American Studies 40:3 (2006).
"'That Mouse's Shadow': The Canonization of Spiegelman's Maus." The Rise of the American Comics Artist: Creators and Contexts. Ed. Paul Williams and James Lyons. UP of Mississippi, 2010.
- "Mike Harris Saved From Drowning." Exile: The Literary Quarterly 22:3 (Fall 1998).
Current and Recent Courses
- English 4251: American Literature to 1880
- English 3843: Introduction to the Graphic Novel [team-taught with Nancy Pedri]
- English 3260: American Drama
- English 2850: What is Film?
- English 2214: 19th-Century American Fiction
- English 1101: Critical Reading and Writing (Fiction)
- English 7058: Representations of the American City, 1790-1915
- English 7062: Studies in Graphic Narrative
- English 7060: Nineteenth-Century American Literary “Classics” on Film